WEEK 11: Comics as Contemporary Literature | Asterios Polyp Response




This story has followed me throughout my time here at Ringling throughout various classes. Every time I am presented with this work, I am always refreshed by the color and style choices. I feel the most compelling way of storytelling is used through the author's use of color. From the bright cyans and magentas, to the muted pastels, Mazzucchelli's placement of color sets the mood for each scene. In the novel, the main character Asterios lives a odd and ever-changing life. Throughout his life, he has many emotions and phases which the use of color interprets. In many of the images, Asterios is drawn in blues, grey, and purples. This may suggest his sadness and confusion through the story.

This contemporary style of comic interests me greatly. I have found through the semester of looking at several different types of comics, I am most intrigued in the work when the story is presented in a creative and artist way such as Asterios Polyp.

-Abigail

Comments

Popular Posts