WEEK 7: Maus Response

Reading the graphic novel Maus by Art Spiegelma was not an easy task. I observed that this comic is able to carry the freight of a personal experience who is dealing with a legitimate traumatic matter. As I read through, the story involved me because I was seeing both the written and the visual. At the same time, graphic novels are a medium where you can step back and watch the story unfold. This subject matter showed that comics are not just for the young reader and can handle strong adult topics as well. The author tells the story like it is and isn't trying to cover anything up.

Similarly to the political book Animal Farm, the decision to personify the animals in Maus and represent them racially as a mouse, cat, dog, and frog is what makes this novel interesting and easier to read. I think the idea of turning the Nazi's into cats and the Jews into mice sort of distances ourselves away from the gruesome subject matter. Also the idea of cat and mice is a universal predator and prey situation. I think the story can be understood by most all readers whether or not you are familiar with the Holocaust event.

-Abigail

Comments

Popular Posts