WEEK 10: Japanese Manga Response | Astro Boy


This week I was happy I got to experience for the first time some of Osamu Tezuka's legendary works. His comics are where the modern style of manga originates. While I didn't get through all the volumes, I read quite a bit of Astro Boy (Mighty Atom). I am aware now that Astro Boy is quite an iconic character but growing up in my Barbie-playing childhood, I had never been exposed to any Japanese manga or animation. Knowing that manga is very stylized and has common themes of large eyes, vibrant colors, and geometric hair, I can't help but to also see American influence as well. I definitely see similarities of Astro Boy in the style of Betty Boop. While this is a strange comparison, funny enough, after some research I found this comic where Astro Boy conquers the US and saves Betty Boop!



Like most manga, Astro Boy started as a comic series and quickly mushroomed into a wildly popular Anime. There are many reasons why Japanese comics and animation separate itself from American style we are familiar with. The Japanese style is very poetic and and often has moments of silence for reflection and gathering of thoughts. In American works, we are accustomed to fast paced action and there is often no time to think. Also, Japanese manga offers a wide variety of styles, shifting from photo realist work to intensely exaggerated characters and backgrounds.

-Abigail

Comments

Popular Posts